Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Here we go go go go... on an adventure!

I am learning it is actually a lot of fun to go out and do things outside my house by myself.  It's still a little scary to actually head out, but I always have fun.  I've already posted about going out to refresh Grandma's flowers, but that was only the beginning of the adventure.  I traveled almost 200 miles!  All by myself!

First stop was the post office, but since they were not open yet, it was on to Chick-fil-a.  I would just like to say, I adore Chick-fil-a.  I love their food, I love their employees, I love their business concept, I love everything about them.  I had picked up boxed meals for our church fellowship meal last Wednesday from them.  They gave me all the sandwiches in this nifty warmer thing that kept them toasty and fresh until I served them.  It was awesome.  So I went back Saturday morning to return the nifty warmer thing.  And they gave me free breakfast for returning it.  Did I mention I love Chick-fil-a??

Then I headed down to Wortham and took care of the flowers.  As long as I was down their, I decided to check out the town.  I found a little antique store and perused for a while.  Then I drove around randomly looking at houses.  After one last drive past Grandma's resting place I got to thinking about my Grandmother who was still living.  I hadn't seen her in a few months.  Since I was already so far from home, I decided to head up and see her.  So I drove up to Edgewood.  Another 2 hours.  But I took some smaller country highways.  The drive was actually quite beautiful.  I hate to drive, but I actually enjoyed it.  We are experiencing what passes for Fall here in the great state of Texas.  And in East Texas they actually have trees.  Lots of trees.  Big trees.  And they were starting to change a little red.  It was quite beautiful.

When I got close I called my Grand-mommy and let her know I was coming.  She got really excited.  When I got there I discovered my Daddy was already there.  He was doing some chores and visiting.  So we all visited.  Grand-mommy wanted to show me how her boys (my Daddy and uncles) had remodeled her bathroom so she could get in there with her walker.  And she showed me her new vanity table with the lights.  We discussed my new interest in antiquing.  I was trying to explain some antique school desks I had found and wished I could have bought for our school room.  The kind were the desk for one is attached to the back of the bench.  You put them in a line in front of the other. 


Granddaddy remembered he used to have some antique school desks.  They might be still out in the shed.  I just had to go look!  We only found one.


I texted my aunt, who is a teacher, before I took it home, and she wanted to keep it.  But we found some other amazing stuff!

The scythe my Granddaddy used to cut hay when he was a boy:


A set of World Book Encyclopedias:


And not one, but two of these old reel-to-reel tape players:


It was even more fun than the antique malls, because of the stories I got with each piece I found!  I am so glad I took the time to go visit with them.

When I left them I stopped at the farmer's market in their small town.  I found some great pumpkins, some delicious fresh strawberries, and a jar of local honey with the comb inside (a special treat for my Hubby :)

On the way back to the big city I decided to stop at this huge General Store that I've always wondered what it was.  They were kind of cleaning up and getting ready to close, but they had a ton of iron... stuff?  Door knockers, hanging hooks, decorations, all kinds of stuff.  I found some coat hangers for my front entry.

By the time I finally made it home, I realized I was exhausted.  But it was really a great day.  I went out on my own and had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment